This week one of our Apprentices, Sarah, will be taking over the blog:
I have discovered that shopping ethically means I need to shop smart. I recently did a Wardrobe Workshop led by the up and coming fashion stylist Jill Watson and it completely changed the way I view my style and my shopping habits. This workshop taught me that shopping smart is the first step to shopping ethically so that I become less wasteful with the space in my closet, the time I spend shopping, and of course my money!
The following steps will help you discover your style and begin redefining your wardrobe.
- Take out all your clothes from your closet and lay them out. ALL of them. Don’t leave anything behind.
- Take all the clothes that you absolutely love and would wear immediately and put them back into your closet. You will see the essence of your style when all of these clothes are back in the closet.
- Take all your “maybe’s” and put them in a bag. Don’t throw them away or give them up just yet. You want to make sure that you don’t need them or go back to them.
- Make a list of things that you need or want for your wardrobe. Get inspired by Pinterest or other fashion blogs to find items that fit with what you already have. Find items that are essentials, things to replace, etc. When you have the budget then you will know what you need to buy instead of buying off instinct in the moment- like the time you bought another shirt that you already have lots of.
When I took these steps, I discovered that I hold onto a lot of junk. I will wear shoes once, but then never wear them again. The only reason I’m holding onto them is because of the guilt I carry for buying those shoes! I also discovered that my style usually consists of clothes with cool patterns, colors, or fabric intricacies. The things I’m missing are the solids that can really bring an outfit together.
Now that your closet is full of clothes that you love, your essentials, and that fully express YOU - put together an outfit!
- Choose a piece you like- this is an easy step since your closet is full of pieces you love!
- Choose something to go with it- start mixing things up! Put patterns or colors together you would have never originally thought to put together.
- Find some shoes- what kind of occasion are you going to? Fancy, casual, date, work event, concert, etc. Your shoes can change the look you are going for and might be the most important piece for your outfit!
- Add accessories- this also defines your style and can change your look. Think of things like belts, bracelets, necklaces, earrings, hat or hair pieces, scarves, purse, etc.
Since implementing these steps, I’ve been able to pinpoint fair trade clothes I need, and create new outfits with the clothes I already have!
Whether we admit it or not, fashion and our wardrobe speak about who we are and it dictates parts of our lives.
My hope is that this Wardrobe Workshop will help free you to feel like yourself in the midst of a crazy fashion world.
I’d love to hear your comments about your own wardrobe transformation!