Today, we're handing the blog over to one of our lovely Apprentices, Jacquiley:
Whether it’s a spontaneous weekend getaway or a month-long South American adventure that there is nothing quite like travel. For me, getting ready for a trip is almost as exciting as the trip itself – I love researching my destination, organizing the itinerary, and putting together an outfit and packing list. I’ve compiled a list of my favourite air travel hacks for every stage of the travel experience below:
- Use a dryer sheet to keep your clothes fresh, and to put in your dirty laundry to avoid smelly luggage
- Store your jewellery in a pill container so it doesn’t get tangled
- Use an old Tic Tac or Eclipse mints container to store bobby pins
- Pack an empty water bottle in your carry-on and fill it up before boarding
- Pack clothes in x-large ziplock bags, and squeeze the air out to save space
- Use a contacts case to store liquid makeup or moisturizer
Before You Leave
- Save Google Maps offline before you leave to save data by finding the area you want to save, and typing OK Maps into the search bar. It’s better than a screenshot because it lets you zoom in. Note that there is a limit to the size that can be saved, and the map is available offline on your phone for 30 days.
- Make photocopies of important documents, including your passport, and keep it in a different place, or scan them and send them to your email
- Alert your bank of your travel plans so you don’t have problems with your credit card
- Enroll in TSA Pre-Check – you get shorter lines, don’t have to remove coat, shoes, or belt, or computer, and you can bring liquids over 3 oz.
- Check out seatguru.com to see what amenities on your flight are like, and to show the plane’s seat locations and recline
On the Flight
- Place your carry-on bag in the bin above or in front of your seat, not behind, so you don’t have to get past people trying to go forward when you retrieve your bag at the end of the flight.
- Wear face moisturizer, especially on long flights, to keep your skin hydrated
At Your Destination
- Ask the locals where to go to eat and drink
- Avoid entering passwords into accounts when using free public wifi
- This doesn’t apply to all locations, but ask what the fare is on public transport and in taxis BEFORE using their service
My final tip is this:
- Get yourself a (gorgeous) travel wallet!
There’s nothing worse than that moment of panic you get right in front of the boarding gate as you pull out everything out of your carry-on, frantically searching for your boarding pass or passport.
Every day this week until Saturday, Purse & Clutch is releasing 2 new one-of-a-kind Mayan Clutches here. Pick your favourite unique design before someone else does, and use code MAYAN at checkout to get 10% off the clutch!